Thursday, September 29, 2011

More Snakes

I guess we didn't cover the hole well enough. This morning I went to water the baby chickens. It was actually the first night I turned the light off for them. Turned on the light and there was another big ol' king snake with a bulge in his midsection. Right next to him was a chicken just sitting there. Not injured or anything.

After a small fight with the stinky snake, which I won, I came back to count the chickens. There were three missing, but I could have swore, that there was only one in the snake. It was big enough that you could see the entire silhouette of the unfortunate chicken. I went ahead and watered and fed them. They all seemed to be recovering find. I moved the feed totes to get to the layer mash, there was a chicken still hiding in the corner. I put him by the food and he started eating just fine. Then I got the goat chow and saw another chicken huddled behind there. He was fine too.

The snake did only get one. I still have 15. It was a bit of a shock since I had not been missing any eggs. Guess my mothballs are done doing their job. I need to sharpen my shovel a bit. Got more of a workout than I expected this morning (especially since my treadmill died on me this morning too).

I guess I better go and see how the little survivors are doing.

No comments: