Monday, September 26, 2011

Chapter 4

"Learn from Kids as They Live in the Moment."

Yes, I have a big problem with being in the moment or focusing. Friends and family will ask me, "do you remember when..." No, no I don't. Sometimes it may be vaguely familiar, sometimes it does not ring a bell AT ALL. Often times I have felt that I might be losing my mind. But I know that it is my ability to "multitask" during stress that causes this problem. When I am in the middle of typing a "stat" report and the kids come in and tell me something I need to do for them at school...guess who forgets to do that.

There was one point in my life where I was so stressed with an outside job that I was forgetting important coversations at work and at home. Peoples lives were dependent on some of these details. It was at that point that I realized I had to lessen my stress. So I did quit (and began working at home eventually). There was a few weeks of decompression and it felt wonderful. I still have stress and yes there are things that I should do to help myself, but I am not ready to move forward on those for different reasons.

One of the things that I have picked up on, as many people have, is yoga. I took a few classes to learn the correct poses and get more of an insight to the practice. I now practice at home, sometimes. Not nearly as often as I should. I absolutely loved it. The focus on the breath and the moment, on each small fractionated movement your body goes through as you change poses and positions. Learning to relax different areas of your body. It is a wonderful, calm feeling when it is finished. And that feeling does stick around for a while.

I guess I had better unroll my mat and take some time to focus on the now...not fret about the past or worry over the unknowns of the future. Now is really all that matters, isn't it. (Namaste)

No comments: