Friday, September 16, 2011

Change of Seasons

Don't you love the lightness of the air when fall is on its way. The cool morning air puts a little bounce in my step. I feel myself breathing deeper and slower. It is still 90 degress in the day, but it is in the 60s when I wake up.

As fall approaches, I once again turn to my to-do list in my head. What needs to be done over the next couple of months to make sure we fare well through the winter.

The well is insulated to ensure we have free flowing water. We should insulate the pipes in the greenhouse, however. All the animals have decent shelter. I do need more hay and straw for food and insulating the shelter. There is still some fallen trees to be cut and split to have ready for the fireplace in case we need heat, or just want a warm fire crackling with our hot chocolate around January. The garden can still be tilled and planted with cool crops and cole crops. I also want to have a cover crop on some garden plots. I need to be thinking about what trees or bushes I need plant for our food, bee food and soil improvement.

Of course, it is my favorite time of year to decorate. Time to think about setting some mums on the porch and pumpkins here and there. I do have one small white pumpkin that survived our summer. It grew by the porch. The rest of the plants burned up in the heat. (I will be planting them elsewhere next year).

It is deer season for bowhunters. Maybe I will have a chance to clean out my freezer and rotate some new venison and even hog sausage.

There is a lot to do in the fall, but for some reason, it just does not seem as hard as the summer chores in the heat...

No comments: