Monday, September 12, 2011

Cleaning the Porch

Yes, finally got the back porch somewhat straightened. It had needed to be done all summer. We have our extra supers and other bee equipment all nice and neat in a corner now. I had a super full of honey that we were saving for this fall to put back on the bees. We had taken it off early spring and we saved it specificially for that purpose. It had been sitting on an empty freezer on the porch not harming anyone for months, but I moved it over the "bee" corner. I guess when I was moving the fairly heavy super full of honey, I opened up some of the capped cells. It was probably two or three hours later, Jake was going out to check on the animals for me when he wanted me to come and see the porch. The bees had found the honey. Really??? There were hundreds on the porch, and over the course of these past several days, have not left. Some fly in and out taking it back home, but I am really a bit afraid that they will try to make it their new home...on my porch!!! All the equipment is there, except nothing is covered, but several supers and frames with drawn comb...I may have to suit up and move that honey closer to them a little earlier than planned.

No comments: