Sunday, August 1, 2010

Change is the Only Constant

I can see where planning on the homestead is probably going to be somewhat of a moot point. Well, the daily planning that works for my "paying" job. There is still LOTS of planning, but a bit more broad. I might have to depend a little bit more on common sense when it comes to what has to be done and what has to wait. Oh dear, this could be difficult for me...Things change. Expect the unexpected. You know the cliches, ones we have memorized to give a word of hope when something surprising has happened to someone else.

Well, change has occurred. My mentor, my friend-my mother is going to be leaving our beginning of a homestead. She has decided it would be a great time for her to travel and enjoy herself since we are here to take care of things and I am all for that. She has spent a good many years (we'll just leave it at that) caring for plants, animals, me and all of her family, as well as friends and even strangers, who all become friends. Now it is time for her to spend some time to care for herself and enjoy herself.

Besides missing my mom, I will miss my teacher, my sounding board, my animal and plant encyclopedia all wrapped in one. I will have to spend more time in books, magazines, online and just getting good old hands-on-experience, I suppose. And that is not a bad thing. I know there is information out there and it will be trial and error. It will be good for my mind to actually have to do the learning myself.

It makes me sad for me and scared for all of us, including the plants in the greenhouse, but I know this will make her happy, and that is all I could really wish for her. I know she is only a phone call or text away, but its not the same.

On the brighter side, I will have a growing magnet collection on my refrigerator from all around the country.

I love you mom!

1 comment:

Linda said...

I will always be here for you on your homesteading venture or anywhere else you might be. And thank you for such an endearing post. I'm only a call away and you know I'll come running when there's a need!I love you dearly my little honeybee!
:)