Monday, August 30, 2010

Chicken Hawk?

Yesterday afternoon I went out to check on the animals water and make sure all was well. Well, there was not a soul in the chicken yard. Every chicken and rabbit was inside the house. It is such an unnerving site and sound (or lack thereof). In the middle of the yard there were a few feathers, nice tail feathers. My heart sank a little. Another chicken gone. Well, when I get inside the gate, the chickens come out slowly one by one and get back to chasing bugs and eating cracked corn. All but one rooster came out. After some coaxing he stepped out into the sunlight. Poor guy, he had a hole where some of his tail feathers used to be. At least he survived, he was one of the largest birds. Greedy hawk!
By the time I had gotten everyone fed, watered and checked on there were three more chickens on top of the blue barrel that holds their food. Apparently, they are the daredevils of the group, sitting up high in the middle of the yard, just shouting to the hawks, "Look at me, look at me!"
I think we will go back, at least after butchering day in a couple of weeks, and clip everyone's wings again, both sides this time, just to be thorough.

No comments: