Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Random Thoughts #2

This has been a busy time for me with my "paying" job. I have not had much time to "smell the roses," which I promised myself I would do. I do get little moments in the day when I have to stand up, stretch and walk. It is in those moments I try to remember that this is just a job, not a life and try to remain in the present. It does get hard when the stack of bills is right in front of me...maybe I should move those off to the side.

I do enjoy watching the hummingbirds and butterflies that land on the flowers just outside my office window. I have been able to enjoy the snowy egret and the majestic Great Blue heron that have frequented the far edge of the pond. But only in passing it seems.

And the animlas. Suzy is a bit lonely without Bella, but we are working on that situation. I have had to give her some water soluable vitamins to help with the runny nose that I am sure is caused by the stress of losing her friend. The rabbits are getting used to us coming in and out of their area. The chickens, oh those chickens, always entertaining. One evening, I went out to lock them up. They were already in their houses. It was just light enough to see four rabbits around the upside down water bucket. I wondered how long it had been flipped over. It must have been a while and those poor bunnies were so thirsty to gather around the bucket. I went in and lifted it up. Out ran a chicken...poor thing, ran into the chicken house as fast as his little legs would carry him. I had to laugh. He shouldn't have been trying to be the daredevil walking along the edge of the bucket...I wonder what the rabbits were really thinking? Were they laughing too? Ah, always entertaining.

Moments like that keep life in check. That is one thing that I love about homesteading-keeps life real. I have been in the fast-paced world, working 8-5,(really, is there a 9-5 job anymore), having the money but not the time or energy to enjoy it, eating out because I was too tired to cook, buying the kids techno gadgets to keep them entertained because I was too tired to listen. That, to me, is not life. It is a shell of a life. I am so thankful for the direction my life has taken. It's hard, oh, it is hard. I have neither time nor money now, but I have so much more treasure that can't be measured.

No comments: