Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My Improving Phobia


Not scared of the dark. Not scared of being alone. Not scared of snakes. Not scared of spiders. Although this little critter did give me a bit of a surprise, but we let him live another day.
My biggest fear is Vesipidae--any flying stinging insects. Yep, bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets. Makes one wonder why I have honeybees. I always swore I could out run them, and must have. I have had honeybee stings from going barefoot outside as a child. I have had one sting on the top of my head from a bumblebee. But nothing else has kept up with me when I have taken off full sprint and screaming. One story that my husband loves to retell at my expense involves me and a wasp in the car many years ago. I was driving, well, actually stopped at a stop sign and there was a wasp perched over the sun visor. He was looking at me. Staring at me. Eye to eye. I had nowhere to go. Couldn't scream, could barely whisper to Bruce it was watching me and I was serious! I got absolutely no sympathy of any kind from him and still do not!

Since being at Valley Creek for just over a month, I am getting more and more used to stinging insects flying around. Honeybees, of course, do not bother me much and am getting more comfortable around them. Since the huge oak tree that overhangs the chicken coop was filled with every bee imaginable, including hornets, the past few weeks, I have gotten used to the buzzing that would send me into a frenzy of flailing arms and closed-mouth screaming -not going to have anything fly down my throat. Now I just shudder a little.

Just last week, in fact, I was hanging towels on the line and grabbed a clothespin from the line behind me, and to both of our surprise, I grabbed one with a wasp on it. I guess I grabbed the head enough it didn't have opportunity to sting me. One of us fell to the ground, bounced back up and took off, stunned into silence...nope, wasn't me this time. I did make an intelligble noise through closed lips, but not a true scream by my recollection.
Yep, I am getting better. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks or at least modify her behavior a bit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eek!