Wednesday, July 28, 2010

State Bee Meeting

I was priviledged enough to attend one day of the State Beekeepers Association's meeting held at Clemson. Yes, only one day of the three day event because of other priorities at this point in time. I am SO glad that I did go. As I have said before, I took a class over a year ago and mom and I have some hives. I have never been all the way to the brood to see the queen and drones and brood patterns, etc. Nonetheless, I have been in the hives enough to know a little bit more about them. When I attended Day One of the bee meeting, it was wonderful. Everything made sense. I could actually visualize what they were talking about. The first part of the day was in an auditorium listening to several speakers / experts. My daughter came with me. Although she said, and I quote, " it is summer and I should not be sitting in class all day," I think she picked up quite a bit and may have even enjoyed it. I took lots of notes...on my Blackberry...I completely forgot a notebook and pen/pencil.


The second half of the day was at the bee yard / apiary and it was wonderful to have hands on experience. I finally saw a drone cells, the queen. Okay, I have to admit it was not "hands on" to the point that I passed around the frame of bees with my bare hands. I was in the front row with my dark jeans, flip flops and
short sleeved shirt. Once again, not prepared for what we were going to do. I thoroughly enjoyed it, however, and look forward to learning more! But I do see my own pattern of preparation needs a little work. Good thing I am not a queen bee, I would be replaced quickly !

No comments: