Monday, August 15, 2011

Still Regretting

Oh how wonderful the cooler air felt as I opened up the greenhouse and walked to the mailbox. The humidity is so much lower. And it is only supposed to be 90 degrees today. On my 0.6 of a mile walk to mail my package, I looked around the place. I have not been doing anything to "beautify" the place this summer. I didn't plant any flowers or have any hanging baskets out. I didn't even feed the hummingbirds. I feel horrible. Of course, I had a few veggies in the garden, and even picked three cucumbers from the plants around the porch this morning, but have pretty well let the rest of it go. It had been so dry and hot. That is no excuse. I will be sorry when my few bags of frozen corn and cans of green beans are gone before Christmas! Now that the reality of the end of the growing season is here, I am feeling regret for my lack of perseverance. I guess that is why I am now, in the heat of the summer, trying to make up for lost time by making sure this fall and early winter are different. When I have a menu and grocery list for the week and spend over $120, it irks me, especially knowing that some of these things should be in my garden! Although there is regret, there is still hope.

When I opened the greenhouse today I was so happy to see several trays have sprouted; cabbage, collards, beets, lettuces, kale and basil. Especially with the fact that I have been at war with a mouse in the greenhouse. I saw him running into the fuse box a few weesk ago. He destroyed my first batch of sown seeds. He even decimated this batch of spinach and brussels sprouts (much to my husband's joy-he hates brussels sprouts, even swallowed one whole to avoid tasting it-ouch!) I am seriously considering a greenhouse cat! First, I will try some good old fashion traps. I can only dream of the morning I find him in the trap...ahhh, the joy it brings my heart. Sorry if that offends, but he offends me by eating my seeds that are supposed to provide food for my family this fall and winter! I am sure there are more lovely things he could find besides digging in my seed trays!!

I am hoping to get back into the overgrown garden soon and redig some of the old beds to put some of the vegetables in. If I have enough energy, I would like to make some tunnels for fall and early winter to save the greenhouse bed for other experiments. I will be putting a few in the greenhouse bed nonetheless. I also need to put another bed in the greenhouse to make sure we have plenty of winter growing space. There is a whole other compost pile to dig and use for that purpose.

Still so much to do. Thank goodness I am re-motivated everytime I come home from the grocery store!

No comments: