Saturday, August 20, 2011

Plastic Feed Sacks

Okay, all the creative people in the world kind of hurt my feelings. It amazes me how people sew, knit, paint and the list goes on. It skipped me. My mother does it ALL! I mean everything from making clothes and quilts to painting and colored pencils and wood burning on gourds and crocheting and punch needle and...I am tired, you get the idea. I like to color with crayons. Does that count? But nonetheless, being of German, Scottish, Irish and Native American descent I am a bit...determined, yes, not stubborn, determined. As I am getting older and finding that simple things are better. I am trying to obtain skills that will be useful when I am able to "stay at home" and run the homestead versus working from home full time. And I will. Even if it is mastering garden and greenhouse, especially herbs, since that is the name of the farm, all the skills that go along with milking such as cheese and yogurt making, knitting, candle making and soap making with our beeswax and honey. You get the idea.

So, these plastic feed sacks. People are making purses, grocery bags, bags in general, things I am not confident I could make. But wait...tarps. They are making tarps to cover hay bales, chicken and rabbit runs, using them for weed barriers, etc. Surely I can sew a tarp, right ? Well, I have saved my first bag-dog food, the chicken bag is getting there, so it will be soon that I may have my answer. And the strings when you open these bags...why didn't I think of saving them to sew on buttons or tie things with. They are fairly thick and sturdy thread.

So much to learn, so much to try. Life is certainly not boring is it? I will post a pic of my first tarp. Be prepared. Do not have liquid in your mouth for your own safety. It could go in or out at the sight of it.

No comments: