Sunday, August 21, 2011

Knitting





I have my worsted wool, my size 9 needles, peaches and cream yarn and size 5 needles. Okay, soooo....My aunt, who is so awesome at knitting, spinning and all things yarn, showed me once, but then I put it down and never went back until now. And have forgotten. I have to say that I am thankful for the internet and all the videos that you can watch to try to learn. It can be a bit overwhelming because so many people have their own variations, and then of course, being left-handed makes it even more awkward to learn right-handed. But as I suspected, it will be better in the long run if I learn it that way. And poor Aunt Sherry gets her brain picked every now and again.


My daughter was going to learn with me, but she still seems to be more of a crocheter like her Mamaw, Granny and my Mamaw before that. Which is good, because as you can see in the picture below, she would leave me in the dust! Yes, Sarah's first attempt at casting on in the green yarn and my first attempt in the purple yarn. I was not lying about the skill skipping me...but the stubborn streak I did inherit, from all sides! About time that trait works for me for a change. I still practice when the evenings are calm, which is not very often at this point.





I have tried the knit stitch and the purl stitch. My first attempt is below. I know, it is horrible, but I have to start somewhere. I may not be able to wear anything I knit in public, but the goats will not laugh at me(at least not in front of me) at my knitted scarf or hat that is keeping me warm when I go out to milk them in the winter.



No comments: