Sunday, June 20, 2010

What We Are Starting With

We are actually a little bit ahead of the game since my mother has been on the land for a few years. We are very fortunate in the fact that we are starting out with 17 acres, mostly wooded at this point, a small pond with a broken dam that a couple of beavers are trying to repair for us, a commercial-size greenhouse (and a mother with a green thumb), a chicken house, some outbuildings/sheds and an outhouse.


Over the next few months,we will be spending a lot of time clearing out and cleaning up. Our side of the pond has the buildings and a few piles of trash that need to be dealt with. Okay, a lot of piles to be dealt with. I am an impatient person, so I keep reminding myself this is going to be a slow process. At this point, I am still working a full time job, albeit from home, it is nearly a 40-hour per week job. My husband works 10-hour days and has a two -hour commute. Yes, things will be slower than I would like, but that's okay. Persistence pays, right?
The land across from the pond is all woods for now. Our hope for the not-too-distant future is to make the furthest portion of it a pasture for larger livestock. That would include cows for meat and horses for fun. The rest of the land is pines, cedars, a few hardwoods and lots of poison ivy and thorny vines that need to be cleared little by little. And we have kudzu to contend with. If you are from the South, you know what we are dealing with. If you are not, it is a vine that grows a foot a day and can overrun land, trees, telephone poles and anything in its path. Yes, my mother feeds her rabbits with it, but...I should be expecting a call or e-mail from her after she reads this.


We are also starting with a few angora rabbits that mom has. Right now they are at home in the chicken yard. She will be taking those with her to her "secret garden" where her home is being planned as we speak. We also have dogs. Nell, mom's favorite child, Abby, her black chow and Hercules, our dog--Abby's offspring.
That is what we are starting with!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Where is that outhouse? I didn't see an outhouse! Please don't get rid of it. If you do, I want first dibs on it! Bring it to me the next time you come home. I've been wanting a "real" outhouse for my garden for a loong time.
Love ya!

Linda said...

The outhouse is sitting beside the lane back in the woods. You just gave us a good idea of having an authentic outhouse in the garden! Thank you! Love you!