Sunday, June 20, 2010

Chickens

As a youngster, we had chickens. I remember throwing kitchen scraps over the fence I could barely reach over. I used to gather the eggs and play daredevil with the basket, testing if the force of gravity would really hold all the eggs in the basket if I swung it all the way around and upside down. (By the way, it did. Thank goodness.) I remember my great-grandparents, Mamaw and Papaw coming over to help us butcher/dress the chickens. Mamaw would take the chicken by the neck give it swing-not unlike my egg basket swinging-and in seconds it was over. I also remember the smell of wet feathers-not one of my favorite smells.


So there is some experience with raising chickens for eggs and meat. I haven't been ALL that involved until this year, however. This year we ordered 50 White Rocks per my request. A new breed for mom and the most she has ever had at one time. I do tend to be overzealous on new things (something I need to work on). I chose the White Rock because of the decent size for meat and the apparent good laying all wrapped in one. Not the best of both, but good in both.

The 50 White Rock and the 1 "rare" chicks arrived from McMurray Hatchery to our post office. The post office called us at 6:34 a.m. and off we went to pick them up.



We had their coop all cleaned with fresh straw, newspaper (so their food wouldn't get lost in the straw until they learned to scratch) and chick starter food in the feeders and two chicken waterers. We had the heat lamp hung and ready go.

As soon as we got home, we woke the kids up, as they are not yet accustomed to "farm hours," and we all went out there for the dipping ceremony. We took them one by one and put their little beaks in the water until they got a taste of it. It really did not take long, even with 75% novices, to get all 51 done. We watched them for a while and then let them be, checking on them every once in a while throughout the day.


So far so good. We have only lost 1, probably due to heat. We did make the decision to buy the chickens a little later in the year than traditionally. Even though mom says the chicken yard will be "boring" because they are all white, less the little black "rare" bird, I think everyone is pleased so far.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm proud of the order of White Rocks and think you made a wise choice. I was stuck in a rut with the tried and true, but still I wish we had color in the chicken yard, like maybe a Silver Laced Wyndott, or even a Rhode Island Red! :)